My Message to Clients
After a successful career as a Department of Justice Canada lawyer working in key federal departments and as a managing partner in a private law firm, I have decided to practice law my way. I want to be of service to clients facing challenging situations, available to answer their questions and provide them with easy access to my knowledge, experience, and contacts.
My clients have always counted on my honest, direct, strategic approach to problems. I tell it like it is. Clients appreciate getting the legal information they need, receiving a comprehensive assessment of the risks, and having my on-going support after they make their decisions. I am pro-active in managing files and keep in touch. This is what I can provide to you.
I will not charge for each phone call or for every minute I spend on your file. I can offer you flexible billing arrangements, set fees for specific tasks, and an approach to billing that meets your monthly budget.
At this stage of my legal career, my goal is to help you to accomplish your goals in a way that best meets your needs and puts my gained expertise to good use.
Here are the areas where my experience and training may be of the most value to you.
○ Government procurement – particularly the defence, security, and cyber-security sectors
○ Canadian exports – permits, international sanctions, trade issues, anti-corruption
○ National Security Law – trade and foreign investment
○ Cross-border legal matters – United States, Europe, the Caribbean
○ International arbitration on commercial issues
○ Competition and anti-trust law
○ Litigation strategy – domestic and international
○ Commercial and investor fraud
- Crown prosecutor, Department of Justice Canada
Large-scale conspiracy investigations and prosecutions against criminal organizations
– narcotics, smuggling, tax evasion, fraud
- Senior Counsel, Legal Services, Competition Bureau Canada
Anti-trust violations under the Competitions Act
– price fixing, restraint of trade offences
- Senior Counsel, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
Operational matters and threats to national security
– first national security certificate case in Federal Court
- Executive Director/General Counsel, Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Executive Committee Member
Support to management of $ 1+ billion organization
– risk management, legal, and policy advice relating to law enforcement
- Executive Director/General Counsel, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (now Global Affairs Canada)
Federal Crown legal advice to Executive Team and Foreign Service Officers
– foreign contractors, compliance with Canada’s legislative and contracting requirements, litigation in foreign courts involving Canada, detention of Canadians by foreign governments in conflict regions
- Executive Director/General Counsel, Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) and Executive Committee Member
Responsibility for $ 4+ billion budget for foreign aid and humanitarian assistance
– contribution agreements, infrastructure construction projects, sign-off, audit
- Acting Senior General Counsel, new Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) (now Global Affairs Canada)
Managed a unit of thirty lawyers providing legal services to Canada’s Missions around the world
– Conduct of DFATD employees abroad, investigations, disciplinary proceedings
- Partner, Regent Law Professional Corporation
Management, strategic advice, and litigation strategy
– Ponzi schemes, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act, commercial civil litigation, supply management issues, cross-border civil claims, tax litigation
- Trent University, B.A.
- University of Ottawa, J.D.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LL.M.
- Harvard Law School, Program of Instruction for Lawyers
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
How can I help your business navigate rough waters? Please contact me for a free consultation.